Carefully read the following Visual Studio Licensing explanation it will help you to get the best value for money from your Visual Studio license.
Parkway Gordon offer two license options.
1. Open Value (OV): This is a Volume Licence Agreement offering a Fixed Annual payment, each year, for 3 years.
- Number One: The most popular & cost effective option of licensing Visual Studio with MSDN.
- Term: A three Year License Agreement.
- Software Assurance: Is included and offers benefits including training, deployment planning, software upgrades and product support help.
Note: The licence becomes Perpetual once the third payment has been made.
Note: Volume Licence agreements have the advantage that the product licence includes ‘downgrade rights’ giving the user permission to install a previous version instead of the version specifically purchased and identified on the licence. The user can always revert to the original version covered by the licence agreement at any time.
2. Open License Program (OLP): This is a Volume Licence Agreement for a Two year term – with one up-front payment. Some, of the clients that opt for this usually do so, because they are not sure what will happen after two years. Others prefer to buy the product outright, write it off in the year of purchase and not have to explain to the auditors what MSDN and Visual Studio are all about. (Life’s too short!)
- Term: The program runs for two years during which further licences can be added to the same agreement as needed. The agreement is assigned an Authorization Number & a Licence number.
- Payment: One Upfront payment for a duration of two years. The Licence is perpetual straight-away.
- Software Assurance: May optionally be included with the MSDN Subscription licence, and offers benefits including training, deployment planning, software upgrades and product support help.
The initial entry requirements is to purchase a minimum of 5 product licences (with the exception of licences purchased with MSDN Subscriptions, where just 1 licence is sufficient).
Licences purchased under Open Licensing are perpetual at the point of purchase, and further OPEN product licences can be added to the same Licence Number, however, the program expires after two years..
Volume Licence agreements have the advantage that the product licence includes ‘downgrade rights’ giving the user permission to install a previous version instead of the version specifically purchased and identified on the licence. The user can always revert to the original version covered by the licence agreement at any time.
3. Full Package Product (FPP) Boxed product
In the last fifteen years or so, few Parkway Gordon clients went the FPP option, as it was more expensive, with less benefits. So, we were not surprised that FPP ceases to be made available from September 2015 with the launch of Visual Studio 2015.
4. Three Substantial Benefits when you license Visual Studio under a Volume Licence Agreement
- You pay a fraction of the cost of all the individual component cost of the software.
- Discounted Renewal Pricing Substantial discounts off the initial new acquisition price
5. What is a Microsoft VOLUME License Agreement?
A Volume Licence Agreement is a more cost effective way of purchasing Microsoft software. It’s for companies that need multiple product licences but not multiple copies of the software. You normally need to purchase a minimum of 5 product licences to create a Volume Licence agreement, however, by purchasing just ONE Visual Studio Licence with MSDN, makes this the exception to the rule. You can benefit from Volume Licencing with just one MSDN product licence purchase.
6. Under the 3 year Open Value Agreement – If payment is not made in Year 2 and/or Year 3 then the software must be destroyed. All 3 years have to have been paid, for the licence to be perpetual.
7. Companies may not reduce the number of user licences under an Open/Open Value agreement once the agreement is in place. However, it is possible to add users, to an Open Value agreement mid-term.
8. Renewal of existing licence. Most clients renew for another three year OV agreement at an advantageous discounted price.
9. Mergers: Some companies who don’t renew, merge with other companies, and sometimes with bigger organisations, so they move up to Enterprise agreements.
10. Download your VL Keys: In the event you don’t renew the OLP / OV make sure you download the Volume License keys before the expiration date from the benefits portal. This must be done to extend the life of Volume licence keys which are perpetual and can be used whenever you require them for the agreed limited number of activations.
11. In the event of Non Renewal of a Visual Studio licence with MSDN, Software Assurance rights for all future upgrades & updates are also lost. You would also lose all access to the MSDN Benefits Portal site / VLSC.
Note under MSDN, if a volume licence product key has not been recorded BEFORE the subscription expires and is terminated, then this key is lost and cannot be reclaimed.
12 . There are two types of Volume Licence Product keys:
- Volume Licensing Software which has been purchased as stand alone licences. These licence keys are perpetual and the software can be used in a live production environment.
- MSDN Software: Those licence keys whose products, come within the MSDN Benefits, for testing & developing purposes only and are perpetual licences.